Labor to cut tax benefit for parents who don't immunise children
Dan
2013-08-18 12:09:16 UTC
http://skep.li/19r4N1t

Labor to cut tax benefit for parents who don't immunise children
By political reporter Eliza Borrello, staff

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has today announced that parents who choose
not to have their children vaccinated will miss out on thousands of
dollars in government benefits.

Speaking at Westmead Hospital in Sydney, Mr Rudd said that those who do
not vaccinate their children will not get the Family Tax Benefit A end-
of-year supplement.

The payment is worth $726 per child, per year and is paid when children
are vaccinated at one, two and five years of age.

Since last year, parents who have not immunised their children have not
received the benefit; however, those registering as so-called
conscientious objectors have.

Under Labor's policy, exemptions would only be made on religious or
medical grounds.

Labor says it wants to boost immunisation rates and prevent children who
are not vaccinated from getting diseases like whooping cough and
measles, and putting others at risk.

The Government says the science of immunisation "cannot be disputed".

"Immunisation is the safest and most effective way for parents to
protect their children from disease, and one of the most important
public health measures at our disposal," a Government statement said.

Federal Health Minister Tanya Plibersek has told Sky News the plans will
boost immunisation rates.

"It is one of the single more effective and cheapest ways of keeping our
community healthy," she said.

"We think about 3 million lives are saved a year around the world.

"We're very lucky that in Australia so many of these diseases have
almost disappeared that sometimes people become a bit complacent."

Australian Medical Association president Dr Steve Hambleton says the
benefits of immunisation far outweigh the risks.

"The strong message here is the Government is rewarding people who do
the right thing ... [and] fully immunise their children," he told ABC
News 24.

"If we can get the immunisation rates above 90 per cent, we will abolish
diseases like measles and can we can attack things like whooping cough."

Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper, which is read by thousands of voters
in key Western Sydney seats, has been running a campaign critical of
parents who do not vaccinate their children.
Katherine Clairmont
2013-09-09 08:06:18 UTC
I for one, support this policy, but I suggest it be taken one step further, in withholding public services like schools and daycares from children who are not vaccinated; as they pose a health risk to everyone else, and more specifically, they are in serious danger, without immunity to many diseases children are carriers of, such as the epstein-barr virus, such unvaccinated children are more likely to die of such an infection.

If these parents want to be medically isolationist, they should not be allowed to endanger the children of other adults who have made the responsible choice to have their children protected from these diseases, and by extension, to protect future generations from the same.