How do you clean a Nikon SLR and strap covered in toxic chemicals?
Danny D.
2013-01-10 10:48:06 UTC
If you are handling seriously nasty chemicals it is wise to have the
antidote, cleaning materials and remedial treatments close at hand.
Given urushiol is a specifically nasty toxic biochemical ...

Here is my newly created urushiol antidote kit:

I used it just now on my neck, cheek, ear, wrist, & ankle rashes.

The only thing missing is a non-oily spermicide.

I will go to the drugstore tomorrow to see if I can find it there.
Danny D.
2013-01-10 11:11:57 UTC
One way to detox urushiol contamination is described
in US Patent 4,594,239
Glad it helps. I would still be inclined to put a sacrificial plastic
bag outer skin on your camera next time or use a throw away one.
I guess I could tape a bag around the camera, but I don't mind cleaning
the SLR once I know what the trick is. The strap will go in the wash
tomorrow since it's what infected my neck rash.

However, I must thank you again for finding that wonderful patent for
cleaning urushiol. It explained how/why the oxidizer worked, and how to
lower the surface tension, and how to remove the oil altogether.

When I coupled that patent with the ability to read the Zanfel/Technu
ingredients on the box, I came up with this inexpensive, yet hopefully
effective home-grown field kit for detoxifying urushiol sap soaked skin!

I just tried it in the shower on my neck, ear, cheek, wrist, and ankle
rash. It gave a pleasant cool "menthol" feeling on my skin, probably from
a combination of the alcohol and toothpaste.

My last task is to find a non-oily spermicide, if it exists.
Kwincay Ercolinowitz
2013-01-10 11:29:33 UTC
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/11926557/img/11926557.jpg
I used it just now on my neck, cheek, ear, wrist, & ankle rashes.
The only thing missing is a non-oily spermicide.
I will go to the drugstore tomorrow to see if I can find it there.
Negroes often used this chemical whilst riding on the underground
railroad during the Civil War to mask their distinctive odor from eating
loads of collared greens and watermelon. Too bad for them General Lee
caught them when they farted up their porch monkey diet.