..Need advice regarding kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia for feline
Laura Fenik
2020-03-02 04:27:59 UTC
[Looking for advice on how to help our beloved Victoria (white cat). She
was recently diagnosed with the beginning stages of kidney disease and
non-regenerative anemia. We've been giving her subcutaneous fluids at
home.

Can the kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia be stopped, or slowed
down?

See this link to an article I posted to our LogicalInsight.net website
about Victoria's health:
http://logicalinsight.net/house/healingpurrrsneeded.html

Victoria Needs Healing Purrrs!

Sweet Victoria has been very sick. She recently had her second blood
transfusion. The diagnosis is that Victoria is at the earliest stages of
kidney disease, has non-regenerative anemia, and a slight heart murmur.

We?ve made several trips from Johnstown to Pittsburgh, PA, to a
specialty veterinary care animal hospital. Victoria has had enough of
needles, syringes (including for feeding at times), probings, and having
her fur shaved, meow!!
Currently the cause of Victoria?s non-regenerative anemia is not known.
A bone marrow biopsy may pinpoint this. We?ve not done this yet as we
understand it to be a painful process but we are thinking about it and
need to do more research. We want to ensure that Victoria?s quality of
life is improving and not stressful for her.

We?ve been giving Victoria subcutaneous fluids at home (Ringer?s lactate
solution) as she is dehydrated. This helps her feel better, keep pumping
those fluids! Plus a drug to stimulate red blood cell growth, an
appetite stimulant, and other important medications. Victoria dropped
down to 7.35 pounds (from around 10 pounds a little over a year ago)
within a short period of time.

Victoria lived with my parents and brother in West Virginia before our
parents passed away. My family wanted a white cat as our father was
mostly blind in his later years (he had 10% of his vision and could see
white). Victoria is our angel kitty and much loved family member. We?ve
been blessed to have her in our lives and want her to be with us for
many more years.

Please send lots of healing Purrrrs to Victoria! If you can provide any
insight on how the kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia can be
halted (if that?s possible) or helped, please contact me. Victoria
meowwws her thanks in advance!
MummyChunk
2020-03-03 19:27:58 UTC
Post by Laura Fenik
[Looking for advice on how to help our beloved Victoria (whit
cat). She
Post by Laura Fenik
was recently diagnosed with the beginning stages of kidney diseas
and
Post by Laura Fenik
non-regenerative anemia. We've been giving her subcutaneous fluid
at
Post by Laura Fenik
home
Can the kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia be stopped, o
slowed
Post by Laura Fenik
down
See this link to an article I posted to our LogicalInsight.ne
website
Post by Laura Fenik
http://logicalinsight.net/house/healingpurrrsneeded.htm
Victoria Needs Healing Purrrs
Sweet Victoria has been very sick. She recently had her secon
blood
Post by Laura Fenik
transfusion. The diagnosis is that Victoria is at the earlies
stages of
Post by Laura Fenik
kidney disease, has non-regenerative anemia, and a slight hear
murmur
Post by Laura Fenik
We?ve made several trips from Johnstown to Pittsburgh, PA, to a
specialty veterinary care animal hospital. Victoria has had enoug
of
Post by Laura Fenik
needles, syringes (including for feeding at times), probings, an
having
Post by Laura Fenik
her fur shaved, meow!
Currently the cause of Victoria?s non-regenerative anemia is no
known.
Post by Laura Fenik
A bone marrow biopsy may pinpoint this. We?ve not done this yet a
we
Post by Laura Fenik
life is improving and not stressful for her
We?ve been giving Victoria subcutaneous fluids at home (Ringer?
lactate
Post by Laura Fenik
solution) as she is dehydrated. This helps her feel better, kee
pumping
Post by Laura Fenik
those fluids! Plus a drug to stimulate red blood cell growth, an
appetite stimulant, and other important medications. Victori
dropped
Post by Laura Fenik
down to 7.35 pounds (from around 10 pounds a little over a yea
ago)
Post by Laura Fenik
within a short period of time
Victoria lived with my parents and brother in West Virginia befor
our
Post by Laura Fenik
parents passed away. My family wanted a white cat as our father wa
mostly blind in his later years (he had 10% of his vision and coul
see
Post by Laura Fenik
been blessed to have her in our lives and want her to be with u
for
Post by Laura Fenik
many more years
Please send lots of healing Purrrrs to Victoria! If you can provid
any
Post by Laura Fenik
insight on how the kidney disease and non-regenerative anemia ca
be
Post by Laura Fenik
halted (if that?s possible) or helped, please contact me. Victoria
meowwws her thanks in advance
Giving fluids (be careful o
the amount and frequency - consult your vet) under the skin can b
very helpful and provide an extended lifespan (with good quality o
life) for cats suffering from kidney issues

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=531937471#53193747
Laura
2020-03-17 03:56:15 UTC
Thank you, MummyChunk for your reply. My apologies for not replying sooner. I'm new to Usenet. I use MicroPlanetGravity (MPG) and cannot get your post to display, nor can I reply to your post for some reason on MPG (I will be looking into this more). Therefore I reluctantly came to google groups and can see your post and can reply to you as well.

We have been seeing several veterinarians for Victoria. One showed us how to give the fluids to her at home which I've been doing daily as well as giving her a subcutaneous injection once a week of darbopoetin to help with regeneration of red blood cells.

Yes, it is so important to keep our feline companions hydrated who suffer from kidney problems. We see such an improvement in Victoria's quality of life from giving her fluids.